Skiing at Red River, New Mexico Nov 23-28, 2010

Two more months, one more month, 20 more days, 10 more days... and here it came. Sean and Luke had counted days for their first ski trip. They knew it would be a long trip but they were ready to go!

We decided to leave DFW on Tuesday evening. We left our house at 7 pm and drove for 5 and a half hour. We arrived Amarillo, where we stayed over night. Everyone was tired and went to sleep really fast. Once we woke up, it was time to hit the road again.



Wednesday Nov 24
After good breakfast at the hotel, we left around 9:30 am.  The scenery along the way up to mountains to red river (especially around 1 hour before Red River) was so pretty.  We enjoyed the ride.




Finally, we arrived Red River around 2 pm.  It was freezing cold.  Red River is a very pretty, nice small town surrounded by mountains.  The place we were staying was 3 bears lodge.  My friend at work who also owns the travel business recommended us to stay.  The owners were really helpful.  They explained everything we needed to know.  The cabin was perfect for our family. We had a full kitchen, living room and 2 bedrooms.  We unloaded our lugguge and unpacked our stuff.  The kids were ready to explore the ski area!





We drove to the ski area.  It tooks only a couple minutes.  Sean and Luke were so happy to see snow.  We talked with people that work there to get all information we needed.  We went ahead and bought tickets for snow tubing.  Let the fun begin!





Thursday Nov 25 - Thanksgiving
We started our day early.  We had to rent and put on all equipments.  It took a while for all ski preparation.  The hardest part was to put the ski shoes on.  It was really uncomfortable to walk but that's how it is.  Once we were done, it was time to start the lesson.  Yes! all of us were taking the lessons.  P'Fung and I were in an adult class.  Sean and Luke were in Youth Ski Club.  I am not sure why but Sean changed his mind to ski instead of snowboarding.  I am glad he did because he loved it.

Our instructor was really good but I think I was too nervous.  P'Fung and I only skied once in Colorado 13 years ago.  I can't remember how I did last time but it was hard for me this time especially when I tried to turn right and left.  The instructor brought us up to the top of the hill.  I was so scared but thought it would be worth it to try.  We used the ski lift and I of course fell when I landed.  I was struggle to stop but didn't want to quit.  I came down hill and hit the rubber fence in the lift area.  It was so embarrasing.  P'Fung ran to me.  He was worried that I would get hurt.  He asked if I was ok, I said yes and laughed so hard.  I couldn't believe what just happened to me!  What an experience!

We met Sean and Luke after class.  They couldn't stop talking about their classes.  They went up to the top of the hill and skied down again, again and again by themselves until it closed.  The first day was fun although we fell so many times.  The boys had a blast!

After skiing, we did the tubing again.  Then we left to a restaurant named Timber.  We had our Thanksgiving dinner there.  It was such a blessing time with our family! 






Friday Nov 26
Sean and Luke still wanted to do the lesson.  This time, they stepped up to the next level.
I tried to ski again by myself.  P'Fung didn't want to do it anymore so he was taking pictures for us.
I was doing better but still couldn't turn and stop very well.  I skied and rested when I was tried.  I spent time with P'Fung without the kids since they were with the youth club all day.  It worked out great!








That evening, we stopped at a small grocery store.  We bought something for breakfast and ice cream (seemed like it wasn't cold enough for us!).  We also stopped to watch the Christmas lights on the way back to the lodge. The decorations were really pretty.  They did a great job!




Saturday Nov 27
I wanted to try something new, snowboarding.  However, everyone I know said it is really hard.  I kept thinking back and forth wheather or not I should try.  Waiting until the last minute, I decided to go for it.  After a couple hours of the lesson. I felt it wasn't too bad at all.  In fact, I like it more than skiing. I snowboarded slowly and could control my move better than skiing.  Snow boarding required the use of leg muscles a lot so my legs were unbelievably sore.  Each part of my body took turn to hit the ground so many time but I was glad I tried. 

Sean and Luke were still taking the lesson with the youth club and enjoyed it.  They tried to get the red dot (one level down from the highest level) so they could go up and ski on the mountain.  Finally, it happened in that afternoon. While they were getting ready to go up with coach Jennifer, they saw me in the snow board class and proudly told me that "WE GOT RED DOT MOM".  YES!  I was glad but worried at the same time.  Thanks goodness, once they came down, they smiled really big and told me excitingly that they did it and saw the whole town.  I am so pround of them!

P'Fung still enjoyed taking our pictures.  Without him, we wouldn't have any pictures from this trip.

Time flies! It was the last day for our trip.  Sean and Luke were sad to leave the ski area.  They didn't want to leave at all.  I don't blame them as they had so much fun!








Sunday Nov 28
Before we left Red River, Sean and Luke still asked if we could stay one more day.  They still wanted to ski.  Luke even cried.  Unfortunately, we had to leave.  We told them that we will try again next year!

This was one of the best trip for us especially for Sean and Luke.  They had a wonderful time and fell in love with skiing.  Sean even said although the drive was so long, it was worth it.  We had a great and memorable Thankgiving!

What I enjoyed:
- The town is small, quiet and pretty.  People were so friendly.  I felt like I knew them before.
- Watching my boys ski
- Snowboarding for myself
- Not too crowded

Things I wish it could be better:
- Wish we had more time to ski and less drive time
- Since the season just started and it was November, we didn't see the whole town covered with snow.



Other trips:
Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Monica and Venice Beach
Transit Tour in Hong Kong
Salzburg, Vienna and Prague
Southern Laos
Japan (Tokyo-Hakone-Kawagoe)
Washington State
Universal Studios, FL
NOLA and Bahamas
Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon and Antalop Canyon
Paris, France
Montserrat and Barcelona, Spain
Dubai
Laos (Vang Vieng and Vientien)
Disney World, FL
Skiing Red River, NM
Niagara Falls, Toronto, San Francisco and Los Angeles
Western Caribbean Cruise (Jamaica, Cayman Island and mexico)
Camping Guadalupe River, TX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canada (Calgary - Banff - Jasper - Yoho - Calgary) August 5-12, 2018

Universal Studios Dec 24-25, 2015

Japan (Tokyo - Hakone - Kawagoe) July 23-28, 2016